Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lemon Chambord Bundt Cake




Inspiration struck when my half Greek friend and I were laughing and quoting My Big Fat Greek Wedding. (Awesome movie. If you haven’t seen it then you need to fix that ASAP.) I’m a movie quoter to the Nth degree and the people I work with think it’s hilarious how many quotes I can pull out of my head at the perfect moment. If you’re familiar with the movie, then you must remember the scene with the Bundt cake. If not, watch this clip:



Later on in the scene, they bring the Bundt out with a vase in the center of it and someone shouts “You fixed it!” I decided to recreate it and bring it to work. Part of our celebration for finishing college. (YES!)

My version :) Pardon the background.


Now this cake is delightful and so elegant! It tastes so good and the best part…it’s from Cooking Light. (DOUBLE YES!) If you have flavored liqueurs around your house, you might be wondering what to use them for. Cooking is my favorite way to use them and baking closely follows. Chambord is a raspberry flavored liqueur but it’s pricey so we didn’t have any around the house but I really wanted to make this cake. We ended up finding another brand, Chateau Monet, that was nearly half the cost of the Chambord so we went with that one instead. If you aren’t willing to shell out money for a full bottle of an expensive flavored liqueur, I suggest checking out the nips section.

Lemon Pound Cake with Chambord Glaze

Click the link above the picture for the recipe.


This wasn’t my first foray into the flavor combination of lemon and raspberry having made my mother Lemon Raspberry cupcakes for her birthday. We enjoyed those so much, I figured we would love this cake as well. I was not disappointed. I made this for the first time on Sunday night and it was so delicious that I had to make it again for the blog and for my family. Rachel was very upset that I didn’t have any for her when I came home Monday night.

Some criticisms: I got this from the magazine a few years ago and the online version of it has a little more information about the glaze than the magazine issue. I felt like the glaze was VERY thin. In the pictures they have taken of it, the glaze looks a lot thicker. They also instruct you to pour the glaze on the cake while it is still warm. My first attempt resulted in a glaze runoff that pooled around the sides of the cake on the plate and then subsequently onto the table. Once it dried, the glaze reminded me of a donut glaze which I didn’t think was too thrilling.

Some mishaps: I was trying to watch Once Upon a Time while making this on Sunday night. (Are you surprised?) So I missed the instruction to grease your pan AND dust it with sugar! I certainly greased my pan using a baking nonstick spray but I completely missed the part about the sugar. This helps prevent the cake from sticking and also helps the cake “climb” the sides of the pan. I wasn’t too worried until my cake wouldn’t come out of the pan. (A baker’s worst nightmare.) After a doing a little dance and making a little love to the cake (just sweet talking), the cake finally slid out but a gasp of horror still escaped my lips when a portion of my cake’s top was left behind in the pan!! I managed to get the top out without inflicting too much damage and I put it back together like the cake puzzle it had become.

Next time: I’m going to make a few alterations to the finished cake concerning the glaze and topping. So for now we’re going to put this recipe in the “testing” phase. I’ll repost when I’m 100% happy with it! As is, it’s a delicious cake! Ask anyone who ate it!


No comments:

Post a Comment