Friday, October 5, 2012

Apple Cranberry Crumble






When cranberries and oranges get together they turn into college freshmen at their first frat party. It’s true! They party like its 1999. Not sure what that’s like actually since I was 8 or 9 in 1999. Anyway, fresh orange juice gets to play with cranberries AND apples in this Cranberry Apple Crumble from Cooking Light: my favorite magazine to get recipes from. I don’t feel as guilty reaching for seconds…



We went apple picking as soon as the Macintosh trees were open for business at the orchard up the street from my house. Mom made apple pie and it was devoured within a couple of days. But since we got a peck’s worth, we still had plenty of apples and a small amount of fresh cranberries that needed to be used – fast!

I didn’t have enough fresh cranberries so I supplemented with Craisins…yum.




This recipe has a nice balance of sweet and tart when you use all fresh cranberries but I’ve always wondered how it would taste with Craisins. I’m more partial to sweet than tart. The Craisins made a big sweet difference! However, I’m glad I didn’t use only Craisins because the fresh cranberries balance out the extra sweetness.

*Note: I squeezed my own orange juice and I think it makes a HUGE difference from buying bottled juice. Please don’t buy your orange juice bottled. Your tastebuds will thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment