Monday, November 19, 2012

Korean Style Short Ribs





To me, the Crockpot is the closest thing a muggle can get to magical cooking. Since I have no house elf to do it all for me on busy days, and cooking is one of my ways of earning room and board, I take all the help I can get from this wonder of the modern world. Waxing poetic and getting my geek on isn’t nearly as entertaining for you as it is for me. So let’s get down to business to defeat the Huns.

You may have heard of Meatless Mondays and I admire and envy those who are able to do that however, I cook for three other people on Mondays. Mom needs to avoid most veggie protein alternatives for her health, my sister would be perfectly content with just carbs but that’s boring, and my dad was a T-Rex in a previous life.

Mondays, usually, are long days working around the house doing manual labor with dad. Just because the sun goes down, doesn’t mean we can’t keep working. Just because the wind chill outside makes it feel like it’s 20 degrees out doesn’t mean we can’t paint, or move lumber, or clean up after various construction projects…I think you get the picture. Anyway, when mom comes home, she doesn’t really want to cook after the first day back to work for the week. (Sometimes, she ends up working with us on some project!) When things finally get wrapped up, dad used to say “where do you want to order dinner from?” BLAH! Take-out gets boring REALLY fast around here. Affordable options: pizza, burgers, or Chinese.

My solution: Crockpot Mondays! I get dinner into the slow cooker in the morning, set it on low, and work for the rest of the day. When we’re done working, dinner is ready too. It’s the perfect solution for us.

Unfortunately, I’ve made several really tasty crockpot meals lately and they all get consumed so quickly that I have no chance for a photo shoot. I promise to make them again so I can share the recipes properly with you. My favorites so far include: Chicken Cacciatore (of my own making) and a Chicken Tikka Masala I found on another blog.






But this week is about these Korean Style Short Ribs that I found on What’s Cookin’ Chicago?. She had adapted the recipe from another blog, Blisstree, and in good blogging fashion I continued the chain of adaptation by making some of my own changes. For the original recipes, click on the links for each blog.

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup un-packed dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons sesame oil [sesame oil is expensive. If you don’t want to use 4 tbsps, use 2 tbsp sesame oil and 2 tbsp light olive oil]
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon ginger preserves
3 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 heaping teaspoon chili garlic paste
5 lbs beef short ribs, uncut whole ribs
1-2 stalks green onions, sliced thin for garnish
extra: toasted sesame seeds
____________________________
Approx. 1 ½ c. cooking liquid
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water

The items in italics are the changes that I made. Here’s why:

-we have an opened bag of dark brown sugar that is going to turn into a rock if we don’t use it! Use whatever you have on hand. The only difference between dark brown sugar and light brown sugar is the amount of molasses that has been mixed into it.
-I only had a small 2 inch nub of fresh ginger left. Originally, 4 tablespoons of fresh minced ginger was called for. That’s a lot of ginger! Luckily, we had ginger preserves on hand. Since they’re jellied, I didn’t pack the brown sugar because it would have been really really sweet with the added sugar from the preserves.
-I used bottled minced garlic to save on prep time. I love to use fresh whenever possible but when I’m cooking in the crockpot, the freshness of the garlic isn’t going to matter because it cooks for so long. Take a little help from the grocery store every now and then.
-Instead of crushed red pepper flakes, I used chili garlic paste. We’re making Korean Style Short Ribs, why not use an Asian source of heat? Plus I just really love this stuff. If you think that it will be too hot with the amount I used, cut it down to your heat level or use crush red pepper flakes instead.
-I reserved some cooking liquid; discarded the fat and simmered the juice in a separate sauce pan with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in about a tablespoon of room temp water to create a sauce. The recipe from Blisstree called for making a sauce as well and I thought this was a good idea.



Instructions:

  1.  Get your magical crock pot out.
  2. Mix ingredients (soy sauce through chili garlic paste) in a medium bowl.
  3. Separate the short ribs if yours are in big hunks. There should be one bone per piece.
  4. Settle the short ribs into the crock pot.
  5. Pour the wet mixture over the ribs.
  6. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  7. During the last hour, take about 1 ½ c. of the cooking liquid and allow fat and juice to separate. Discard the fat and pour juice into a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Combine cornstarch and water and whisk until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to pan while whisking the contents. Cook for another minute or until thick. (This happens quick). Remove from heat but keep warm until you are ready to serve.


We made jasmine rice in the rice cooker (another magical cooking device) to go with the short ribs. Serve short ribs with rice, sauce, a drizzle of sriracha (if you’re like me), a smattering of toasted sesame seeds and a sprinkling of scallions.



These short ribs are so fork tender with a nice umami component from the soy sauce blending with the sweetness of the brown sugar. I think the kick from the sriracha is that little extra somethin’ somethin’ that would make Professor Slughorn invite me to join the Slug Club…I just crossed the line of geekdom. Never talk about the Slug Club when you’re writing about food. 


No comments:

Post a Comment